What could be more perfect than a romantic trip in a nostalgic railcar ? This one-of-a-kind, 120-year-old train with vintage wooden seats, features conductors in historic uniforms as it ascends 4.3 miles in 52 minutes to Schynige Platte. It all starts in Wilderswil, just a four-minute train ride from Interlaken Ost train station, where you board this unique cogwheel train. Once in Schynige Platte, you’ll enjoy views of Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, Lake Thun, Niesen, Stockhorn and Jura. This natural wonderland is a popular starting point for all kinds of hikes. It’s also the site of the only Botanical Alpine Garden in Switzerland, home to around 600 species of Alpine plants. Don’t forget to stop by the mountain’s hotel and welcoming restaurant offering a spacious terrace. Incredibly, those with a Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Travel Pass Flex will find they’re entitled to free travel on this excursion. Schynige Platte. It’s not just a wonderful trip, it’s a trip back in time.
Schynige Platte : Nostalgic Rail to Timeless Beauty.
Here’s what’s included :
- Includes round-trip travel from Wilderswil or Interlaken to Schnyige Platte on board a unique vintage cogwheel train.
- The 52 minute journey brings you to the summit where the following activities can be found :
- The only botanical Alpine garden in Switzerland with 650 species of flowers.
- Impressive views of the Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau and Lakes Thun and Brienz.
- Daily entertainment by costumed Alphorn players.
- Easy circular hiking trails.
- Mountain hotel and panorama restaurant with spacious terrace.
- Nature cinema and railway exhibition.
- Discounted fares are valid when traveling with a Swiss Half Fare Card and Eurail Pass that includes Switzerland, please refer to the type of pass you have when selecting your tickets.
- Free travel with a valid Swiss Travel Pass (use of travel day required).
- All child rates are valid for children ages 6 -15.
- Children under 6 are free.
- Children traveling with a Swiss Family Card are free when they travel with a parent or guardian that is traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass. Where noted below, please indicate the number of children that are NOT covered by the Swiss Family Card. Note : these children will be required to purchase a ticket.
- Train tickets and Swiss Transfer tickets are not valid for rail pass discounts.
- Tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase.
- Operating daily starting 26 May, 2018.
- Cogwheel train operates daily every 40 minutes from 07:25 am to 04:45 pm. During bad weather the schedule may be changed without prior notice.
- Prices are subject to change.
From our travel community
You may also be interested in
Common Questions, Simple Answers
Q. What do I do with my luggage ?
A. Once on board you’ll need to find a place to put your bag(s). Small and medium sized bags typically fit on racks located above the seats. Larger suitcases and items can be stored in racks found near the train door entrance.
In addition, you’re responsible for your luggage. The railways assume no responsibility in case of loss or theft of baggage carried on board.
If you’re traveling on Eurostar, Thalys or a TGV, you’re limited to two large items per traveller (maximum 85cm in any one dimension), plus one small item of hand luggage. On most high speed trains there’s room for luggage above the seats and for larger items at the end of each coach.
Be advised that when traveling on Eurostar, Thalys or any French train, you must properly label your bag(s) with your first and last name. In general, it is a good idea to keep luggage tags on your baggage for easy identification.
Q. Can I exchange my train ticket after its date of departure ?
A. Unfortunately, this is not possible. If a train ticket can be exchanged, it normally must be done prior to the first date of validity on the ticket or the train’s departure date. However, please consult the “after sales conditions” found on your confirmation email for exact exchange rules pertaining to the train ticket you booked.
Q. Who should I contact with questions about my exchange or refund ?
A. You can visit our Contact Us page to send us a message about exchanges and refunds.
In your message, please be sure to include the original booking number, your contact information, and which item(s) you’re requesting a refund for. If you’re requesting an exchange under the Rail Protection Plan™, note this in your email as well.
Q. Do I need to show my passport to board the train ?
A. If you’re traveling with a rail pass and this is your very first train trip, you’ll need to present your passport to the railway official at the ticket window to activate your pass, before you board the train.
Please note that there will be no passport control (day or night) when traveling between countries that signed the Schengen Treaty. Not all countries belonging to the EU are part of the Schengen Treaty (e.g. Great Britain, Ireland). On the flip side, some countries that are not part of the EU are part of the Schengen Treaty (e.g. Switzerland, Norway).
Q. Can I get a refund for unused days on my rail pass ?
A. No. Partially used rail passes cannot be refunded. Only unused rail passes that have not been activated are eligible for a refund within the allowed time frame.
Q. Where can I store my luggage on an overnight train ?
A. Luggage can be stored on a small luggage rack and any floor or bed space available. Keep in mind that this space is shared among all travellers occupying the sleeping compartment or couchette.
Q. Does my train ticket include a seat reservation ?
A. Rail Europe tickets include a reservation whenever possible. To tell if you have a reservation, see if you received one or two travel documents for your trip. If you received two travel documents, you probably received an open ticket and a reservation. The reservation portion will show a train number, car number and seat number assigned to you personally.
If you received only one document, you should also see if it indicates a seat number and car number. If so, your ticket includes a reservation.
The only case where you may not have a reservation with your ticket is if you received an open ticket. With these tickets, you can simply hop on any non- reservable train that travels on the route for which you bought your ticket.
Q. Are there restrooms on the train ?
A. Yes ! Restrooms can be found on all trains in Europe. Restrooms are easily accessible on all trains and are frequently marked with the letters WC (Water Closet). They’re usually found at the front or back of each train car and typically include a sink, toilet, and locking door.
Q. I'm looking to book a train on your site but I can't find it, why ?
A. We know it can be frustrating when what you’re looking for is not displaying, let us help, as there could be several reasons for this happening.
1. It could be the case that it is too soon to book the train you wish to travel on. Typically, trains can be booked 3 months in advance. Of course, this can vary by carrier and time of year. Some trains have a longer booking horizon.
2. The train or fare you are looking for is not available. Depending on the time of year, time of day, or train you are looking for, it could be the case that there are no available seats for booking. If your travel dates are flexible, you can select an alternate travel dates to see if the train you are looking for displays.
3. Scheduled track work or maintenance could be scheduled for the day/time you are looking to travel. Carriers will close reservations for these scheduled dates, meaning they will not appear on our site to book.
4. Some trains are private lines or operated by carriers that do not allow other distributors to offer them. In these cases, tickets will need to be secured locally at the station.
Q. Where can I find specific information regarding the services offered on the train I'll be taking ?
A. We try to provide you with as many details about your train trip as possible. When you’re searching for train fares and schedules, click on the train numbers listed on the results page. Choose the class of service you prefer to sit in and you’ll be able to see all onboard services offered.